Music Lesson Policies and Guidelines
- I offer 30 minute, 45 minute, and 1 hour lessons.
- All lessons recur weekly based on the student’s scheduled day and time.
- My lesson program is month-to-month so there is no long term commitment.
- All lessons will be at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 11 Glidden St, Newcastle, ME 04553.
Lesson Attendance and Cancellations
- Student Cancellations – It is important to keep student absences to a minimum. When an absence in absolutely necessary, as much notice as possible is required. I ask that at least a 24-hour notice be given for lesson cancellation. Without at least 24-hour notice, the lesson time will need to be paid for and no make-up lesson will be given. With 24-hour notice, I will attempt to reschedule the lesson.
- Instructor Cancellations – I expect lesson cancellations to be minimal; however, I am a performing musician and will sometimes need to cancel lessons because of rehearsals or performances. If I need to cancel a lesson I will provide as much notice as possible. Also, I will attempt to reschedule the missed lesson.
Lesson Schedule and Holidays
- Holidays - Lessons will not be available on several public holidays throughout the year. These include New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Vacation Periods - Lessons will not be available from August 16 through Labor Day (September 6), on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving, and from December 24 through January 1.
Health and Safety
- Illness - If students and/or parents feel ill, please let me know and I will cancel the lesson. Cancellation because of illness will not require 24-hour notice. I will do my best to reschedule the lesson.
- Masking - Masks are optional inside St. Andrew's Church. I will wear a mask upon request.
Recitals and Performances
- I will schedule recitals depending on the interest and availability of students. I encourage all students to participate these performance opportunities, however participation is not mandatory.
Emergency Closings and Weather Cancellations
- Lesson Cancellations - I do not automatically cancel lessons for a day based on public or private school closings, though I take those closings into account. On bad-weather days, the decision regarding lesson cancellations will be made no later than noon. Notifications about lesson cancellations will be emailed and texted to students, as well as posted on this site.
- Make-up Lessons for Weather Cancellations - Due to the large number of lessons that may be affected, make-up lessons for weather cancellations cannot be guaranteed but all reasonable efforts will be made to reschedule lessons.
- Make-up lessons are offered only if a mutually acceptable time can be found.
- I request that all students and parents provide me with current contact information.
- Lesson tuition may be paid at the beginning of the month for lessons in that month, or at each lesson.
- Payments may be paid using cash, or check. Other payment options are available on request.
- Many students find it useful to schedule tuition payments using their bank's bill pay service.
- Lesson rates:
- $20 for 30 minutes
- $30 for 45 minutes
- $40 for 1 hour
- Any lesson rate change will be communicated in writing at least one month in advance.
Musical achievement requires sustained effort and commitment. I encourage all my students to practice regularly. Some practice guidelines include:
- Practice in a quiet place.
- Schedule a consistent daily time for practice.
- Use a quality instrument and ensure that it is in good working order.
- Play often for family and friends.
- Play a wide variety of music.
- Communicate with me about your music experiences, goals, expectations, and any challenges you experience.
- Make a commitment to practice frequently.
What instruments and styles of music do you play and teach?
I have been a professional player for over 30 years on the piano, organ, harpsichord, clarinet, and saxophone. I have taught for over 25 years, and I teach piano, organ, harpsichord, clarinet, saxophone, tuba, euphonium, and trumpet. I am very familiar with a variety of musical styles and genres including: classical, rock, pop, jazz, blues, R&B, country, bluegrass, gospel, musical theatre and many more.
What is the best age to begin music lessons?
Any person age 5 and above would do very well taking music lessons!